About Me

My photo
I am a SAHM mother of three...only one left home though. Paper crafting is my passion...I love creating things and saving memories. I also enjoy reading, baking, spending time with my friends and family, and walking my two furry children. My goal on my blog is to share something a little crafty, something yummy, and something fun every week. Thank you for visiting & comments are appreciated :)

Friday, December 3, 2010

How quickly they grow...

Last night we celebrated my son's birthday with 9 of his closest friends...and yes, thank you for asking, we are insane. This was not just a birthday, it was his becoming a teenager birthday...13!
When I look at him it is hard to believe that this young man in front of me is the same preemie I couldn't even hold 13 years ago. Oh, yes, like everything he does his birth was a little dramatic. My little guy started trying to join us over Thanksgiving weekend...he was not supposed to join us until well after Christmas. I had to be taken to a special hospital with a neonatal unit, once there they seemed determined to keep him cooking a little longer, so drugs it was. After about a week it was decided that it was time to let him out into the world. Again, bring on the other drugs....about 14 hours later there he was. Yes, he came too early, but despite that he was healthy. We were very lucky and able to bring him home after only a week in the neonatal unit. Like mom always said, we just cook 'em faster....he was fine, no problems to deal with...at least health wise.
When we brought him home we had this lovely, wooden cradle for him to sleep in...he hated it. We tried everything...crib, bassinet....then my Mom-mom suggested a laundry basket. He loved it! It was just his size and that is where he slept until he was about 6 months old. It was great for me too because I could just move him around the house. Seems like only yesterday that he would fit in that basket, now his feet hang over a twin bed!

I digress...Last night our son and his friends overtook our home. They ate...hot dogs and homemade french fries. John said they had to have homemade fries, so that was his job - fry cook. After stuffing their faces they went outside to burn it off...flashlights in hand they ran amok for about 2 hours in our yard, at least our yard most of the time. Then it was time to sing...cake and presents. We then sent them to the family room with two movies, a Wii, iPods, and snacks (you have to have more sugar:)...at 3 AM I gave in and went to sleep to the sound of iPods, DS's and a movie blaring.

I was awakened by the sound of my two beasts trying to get to the front door because the doorbell was ringing. One of the young men who stayed the night and failed to tell me that he would be picked up 'a little early' in the morning....7 AM to be exact. So I stumbled to the door to greet a mother I have never meet in my adorable fleece penguin robe...so much for first impressions. I knew there was no going back after that so I dressed and started breakfast. thank goodness I always overcook....those boys (only 7 left now) went through 34 sausage links, 28 pancakes, a gallon of milk and some other juices!

Once feed they decided that they just had to play football in the snow...sorry neighbors, I did manage to keep them in until 9 AM. I am amazed at the teenage body...I wold have had on hat, gloves, scarf, tights under my jeans, turtleneck and sweater....they had on t-shirts & hoodies...crazy boys! Of course they wanted a fire after 45 minutes of outside time....a fire that they sat in front of for a total of 9 minutes, yes I counted. Oh, well...I enjoyed it.

10 Am rolled around and all remaining parents seemed to arrive at the same time...so for about 15 minutes we had doorbells ringing, dogs barking, boys running from one side of the house to the other gathering things and parents trying to chat. I think they had a wonderful time!

But that is not where the celebrating ended...after a little rest, we took him for his birthday lunch. He wanted to go to Cheesecake Factory. We enjoyed a great meal and family time. The waitress brought his dessert with a chorus of Happy Birthday accompanied by several others of the wait staff. We then went to get his final present...new shoes. Yes, my son likes clothes and shoes. We had to go to a skate store to get them, but they were the ones he has been coveting....wild colored high tops by some skate company. Now the day was complete.

No comments: